BE A STAR
If you are interested in general auditions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, most shows performed at the Grindstone are produced by independent artists. If you wish to produce a show with us, please visit Produce a Show Page
SET/PROPS DESIGNER CALL - THE 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE
ABOUT THE MUSICAL
Book by Rachel Sheinkin
Music and Lyrics by William Finn
Conceived by: Rebecca Feldman
Director: Byron Martin
Musical Director: Simon Abbott
Winner of the Tony and the Drama Desk Awards for Best Book, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee has charmed audiences across the country with its effortless wit and humor. Featuring a fast-paced, wildly funny and touching book by Rachel Sheinkin and a truly fresh and vibrant score by William Finn, this bee is one unforgettable experience.
An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime. While candidly disclosing hilarious and touching stories from their home lives, the tweens spell their way through a series of (potentially made-up) words, hoping never to hear the soul-crushing, pout-inducing, life un-affirming "ding" of the bell that signals a spelling mistake. Six spellers enter; one speller leaves a champion! At least the losers get a juice box. A riotous ride, complete with audience participation, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a delightful den of comedic genius. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is a fast-paced crowd pleaser and an instant theatre patron favorite.
Submission deadline: March 13, 2023
First Read: March 19th, 2023
Rehearsals: March 26- April 15th, 2023
Tech: April 17 & 18, 2023
Performances: April 19 - April 29, 202
Grindstone Theatre is committed to inclusive hiring. We encourage submissions from professional artists who self-identify as members of under-represented communities.
JOB DESCRIPTION - Set/Props Design:
- Collaborate with the Director on establishing a set design and executing the vision for the show
- Examine script in detail in order to understand set requirements
- Coordinate props and furnishings
- Create drawings to communicate the final “look”, as required
- Attend production meetings, as required
- Attend rehearsals, as required
- Execute expenditures and keep budget in check
- Submit all set and prop related receipts to producer
- Create a set of accurate drawings for the set builders
- Recruit and coordinate set builders and painters with the assistance of the Volunteer Coordinator
- Supervise and assist with load-in and set-up
- Attend technical rehearsals and dress rehearsal, as required
- Supervise and assist with striking the set following the run
- Make arrangements to clean, return, store, and/or dispose of used set pieces after production run
- Work within a limited budget
The Costume Designer & Set/Props Designer will work together as a design team to execute the project and to bring to life the vision of the production.
- Previous working experience as Set and Props Designer
- Ability to work creatively within restrictive budgets and timelines
- Good time-management skills
- Ability to task manage efficiently
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Critical-thinker and problem-solver
HOW TO APPLY
To submit your interest, email your resume and headshot to Byron at email@example.com. Please write “Spelling Bee Designer” in the subject line. In an effort to reduce paper consumption, we accept online submissions only.
Additional information can be found below in the PDF of the Full Designer Call.